Banding his zebra finch
1. Interests in ringing your zebra finch
This will allow you to know their year of birth and identify them, which will be essential to establish a genealogy and monitoring of your breeding. Each ring will be the identity card of each of your zebra finch.
In addition, if you want to compete with one of your zebra finch, only those who are banded can participate. Ringed zebra finch of the current and previous year may qualify for a rally.
Then, a breeder will always prefer to buy a ringed zebra finch on which he can be assured of the year of birth of this one and be informed of its origin.
2. How and when to pack chicks
Video that illustrates how to manipulate the chick to ring him:
In general I ring around 5 to 7 days of life of chicks.
From one day to another the size of the leg changes very quickly and the banding can then become difficult, even impossible, and the opposite is true too. It is therefore preferable to check during a few days if the ring remained threaded with the dough of each chick.
If you band and you get to remove the ring without difficulty, it's not good, re-assay the next day.
Tips : You can soak the rings in soapy water or oil, so the ring slides easier on the paw.
Precaution to take : Avoid pulling too hard on the fingers under penalty of handicapping the zebra finch. It can not be exposed for this reason.
3. Which diameter to order
To give you an idea, I ring diameter 2.9.
To avoid being mistaken your first year, I advise you to ring the same diameter as that of the parents.
To compete, it will be necessary that the ring can not be removed from the paw of the adult bird.
4. Where to order rings
Only affiliated ornithological associations can provide a breeder's number and thus your ring sets. You will find on their respective sites purchase orders or how to proceed for the allocation of your breeder number that is most often automatically during your very first order.
Here are the links of the 3 French organizations that will allow you to place your order :
- Commande de bagues C.D.E.
- Commande de bagues F.F.O.
- Commande de bagues U.O.F. (to follow : Dossiers > The rings)
If you are part of a club, usually a bulk order is made.
- I have used closed anodized rings for many years. I realized that they left black marks on their legs over time. I order now rings of the color of the year that does not leave these traces and which also has the advantage of easily locate the year of birth of the zebra finch quickly.
- The approved plastic rings are beginning to appear, they can be interesting.
5. Information given by a ring
The information you will find on a ring are :
- The breeder's number (Stam no.)
- The number specific to the bird
- The year of birth
- The diameter of the ring
- The letter of the country
- The logo of the association which delivered the ring
You will find in images where is located each information of a ring on the respective sites mentioned above.
6. How to remove a ring
It can happen that a paw swells, or that by lightening a paw become bigger (full of scales).
It is therefore sometimes preferable to cut the ring to avoid injuries or not to go to the imputation, see the loss of the bird.
You will find in shops or specialized sites scissors cut ring like this one :
Precaution to take : Hold the mandarin diamond well and cut where there will be space between the leg and the ring. In case of minor injuries following the operation, apply a betabine.